The new Daniel Bryant CD, MIRROR (DARKNESS) is now released and available to the public for your listening pleasure. I became aware of Daniel’s music through a Reverb Nation artist submission. I’ve know been playing Daniel’s music on my internet radio show for a while now to great response. This CD was also world premiered on my show, Auditory Slam, on the 28th of April.
So, let’s break down the CD for those that may not be familiar with what Daniel does musically.
1) Jekyll & Hyde: This song starts with a slower tone that builds up as the song progresses into an almost Queensryche style hook before coming back around to the beginning style. Great cathedral style effects that really add to the overall tone of the song.
2) Lucky Man: A song of loss and seeking redemption. The guitar tones here really stand out. Vocal delivery is great. Daniel sings in a way that is entirely likable without really sounding like anyone else that I can name.
3) Haunted: Song starts with a great guitar/drum combo that once again gives way to Daniel’s great singing and lyrical attack. Lots of progressive style sounds throughout.
4) Not The Same Anymore: Some really awesome Gregorian Chant style singing starts this song out before giving way to a great guitar riff and an almost rap style vocal delivery by Daniel.
5) Sometimes You Gotta Run: Acoustic opening with great vocal over it. The story really takes front and center here. Daniel really has a knack for the art of storytelling in a song. The song gives way to some great heavy guitar and keys that really shine.
6) Wake Up: Strong tones of Queensryche’s Silent Lucidity here. That’s not a bad thing either.
7) Mama’s Boy: My least favorite song on the track. Good tones and singing, it just doesn’t jump out at me like the others.
8) Find Your Way Back Home: Great song with some really great sax playing throughout. Another great set of lyrics delivered with great emotion and style.
9) Reflection: The closer. A 14+ minute romp that takes all the previous styles and roles them into one song. The tour de force of awesomeness.
CONCLUSION: An emotional rollercoaster of a musical journey. Extremely well written and produced that really showcases not just Daniel but the entire band as a whole. You can really tell that this is about the SONGS, not just showing off said musical chops. The progressive nature of these songs will not be for all but if you like bands like Queensryche, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, or later Opeth, this should please you greatly. The CD can be listened to in it’s entirety FOR FREE on both Reverb Nation as well as through Youtube videos.
The website can be found at Daniel Bryant Website
SCORE: 8 out of 10
STANDOUT TRACKS: Jekyll & Hyde, Lucky Man, Find Your Way Back Home